So last weekend I endured 29’C heat and ran (/ walked) the Lisboa Rock n Roll marathon. Here are just some of the thoughts running through my head whilst I did:
1. Woo marathon number 5 – bring it on
2. Oh no I think I need a wee… it’s probably just nerves, I can hold it
3. Yay the first band, this is going to be great having loads of live bands along the route
4. Okay this is tough. I should not be finding it so hard so early
5. Yep, I really actually do need a pee.
6. THANK GOD – a portaloo.
7. Damn it’s locked.
8. YES A FREE PORTALOO
9. KM13 – halfway there c’mon El
10. Oh wait halfway is 13 miles not 13KM… noooo
11. Okay nobody said anything about hills… or 29’C heat…
12. How does dad make this look so easy?!
13. WOO okay halfway. Just 21KM to go.
14. Ah no – vom stop.
15. Alright this is not going to be a PB run, just going to try and enjoy the scenery
16. I do not feel good
17. Moving house & lifting heavy things up and down stairs is not good leg prep… lesson learned
18. Just going to keep messaging my sister and Dom – this is helping
19. On the plus side, my shin splints haven’t reared their ugly heads!
20. I really don’t feel good
21. Just realised I can use my legging pocket as a water bottle holder – win.
22. This is really really hot. I’m definitely more of a winter runner.
23. Okay, new tactic: run for 2 mins, walk for 2 mins
24. WHERE ARE ALL THE BANDS?! I haven’t seen any for about 10KM – rock n roll my ass
25. LAST BIT. I can see the finish. Oh no that’s not the finish. This race is the worst
26. FINALLY the finish. Finished in 4:38hr (my second worst time). Never again.
26.2 Okay I’m going to need to do another… to prove to myself I can do better (my PB is 3:30hr!) but first – a break from running!
So yeah, in summary – it was hot, I did not get a PB, I finished it and I’m ready for a break. I’ll be taking a year or so off marathon running, doing some 10KMs and half marathons instead – any suggestions?!